Sunday, January 22, 2017

Flexibility and Productivity

This post I started in October of 2015. I thought I would finish it now. 😊

Some might call us crazy, this life of homeschooling six Children and having so many activities. I sometimes am one of those people!!! However, I have prayed about these choices, and feel good about them. Therefore, other people's opinions, (or my self doubt, which is most likely from Satan), really doesn't mean much. All of us have our own ideas of a productive life. Live and let live! So... on to...

Productivity....

I am tired, a lot. However, in thinking about more children, my plea to the Lord was, "Lord, I am so tired. However, if you really want us to have another member of this Family, we will welcome and love a little one with all our hearts." THIS, people, takes a lot of Faith, or  less nice people would say insanity... (This is actually how my fourth child got her name, because it takes a lot of Faith to keep going and having more children....) So, we found out the end of August of this year that we will, in fact, be having another child join us the end of April next year. This is both wonderful, and c'mon, slightly nutty. However, as I know that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," Philippians 4:19, I will take a deep breath, and know that our Faith in Heavenly Father and his Goodness will help us through our trials.

Also, honestly?? One of my biggest concerns is having our environment be "hard to control or handle" after this small fry comes. Really, though, have you ever met a control freak who was really happy?? Right. Not really. 

The truth is that the people I have had the blessing to get to know and who are happy and influence the most with their generosity and kindness, are people who cut themselves slack. Now, this doesn't mean being lazy, but it does mean that they can roll with the punches and be flexible. It might mean the house or children don't look perfect. It MAY APPEAR as though the house has been ransacked. 

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE LEARNED: We all have priorities. There is a time and season for everything. Some people would love to criticize my housekeeping, and others my children's education. Well, I am here to just say it. I CAN'T HAVE BOTH PERFECTLY DONE AT ALL TIMES!!! 

So, I am hoping to blog more often and talk about it. This, this homeschooling many, and spending so much time with them, can be intense.

On a daily basis, I have to be

FLEXIBLE.

 I have learned to be flexible. I am sure there are Moms who are much more disciplined and rigid in their style, but it really doesn't work for me. I have learned (or try, anyway), to roll with the unexpected. I mean, it can be nutty, when I am just about to help someone with their learning, and then Our smallest fry has had yet another accident. So, I have to go take care of him, and then get back to work. etc, etc... Then, someone who thinks I am just home, and can answer texts all day, texts and expects the answer ASAP. Oy.

Homeschooling looks different on a day to day basis. Sometimes it might look organized, people working quietly or listening. Sometimes, it is watching a video or doing an experiment to learn. Sometimes, it's going to a zoo, the park, or a museum. Or, it might be giving up on lessons when their eyes glaze over... And and we go do chores instead. Or. It might be that none of us are in the mood and we go read books or watch a movie instead.

I have learned that a well fed family helps us all to be nicer people. This is not as easy to do as it sounds. It's actually a pretty big weakness of mine, that I don't plan ahead enough, and am either lucky that a meal turned out or glad that the groceries I picked out actually make some good meals. 

No comments: